Ireland in a week on public transportation?

Q. I am flying into Dublin and have 1 week to see as much of Ireland as I can. I am limited to trains and buses. Can anyone tell me what are must-sees or suggest a week itinerary that covers as much of the country as possible?

Thanks!

A. Well, if you're going to fly into Dublin, make sure you take at least a day for Dublin. I'll admit that I prefer the Western part of the country, but there is plenty of interesting stuff in Dublin and it's very easy to get around, especially if you take the hop-on-hop-off tourist busses. I would also suggest that you go out to Galway. It's probably going to be easiest to do this from Dublin, since you can get on the City Link bus right at the airport and in 4 hours or so you'll be in Galway. From Galway you should be able to find guided tours around the area (e.g. out to Connemara or the Burren) -- stop by the tourist office and ask for info, or ask at your hotel. If you feel like a slightly longer trip you could go down to Dingle. There are lots of companies that offer guided tours around the peninsula (I believe the one we used is Buailtin Tours, and it was awesome). Again, you can get the info on the tours from the tourist office or your hotel. If you prefer larger cities, you might like Cork, Waterford, or Limerick.

Are hotels in Ireland strict about occupancy limits?
Q. I am going to Ireland with 2 friends in a week. Many hotels are saying we can only have 2 people to a room. Are they strict about this? Or can I book a room for 2 and sneak in a third person?

For the record, the hotel I was looking at was the G in Galway, and Benedicts in Belfast.

A. You are allowed to have guests to your room when staying in a hotel. If you all come back to the hotel at the same time and are questioned (unlikely, as long as you're not falling down drunk), just say you have invited your friend back to your room for a drink. Most hotels allow you to have the same number of guests as there are people booked in. As long as you keep the noise down (and tip the night staff if you're getting late drinks service) you should be fine.

Are there any hotels that are very contemporary?
Q. I mean as in style, decoration, floorplans, furniture...

A. Where are you looking?

There's the Sanderson in London, the G in Galway or the Standard in LA & Hollywood. The W Hotels are pretty contemporary and they're all over the world.

is this what you were looking for?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the cheapest 2 room suite hotel in Chicago?

Wooden Puzzles Australia

What is the cheapest way to travel from NYC to Orlando?