Can you help me find a nice hotel in amsterdam?

Q. I am going to amsterdam with a group of 5 people and we are looking for a place to stay that will accomodate all 5 of us. I am looking for something in between vondel park and the center of the city (red light district) I am also looking for something that is reasonably priced and is not too expensive since we are all college students. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

A. Lots of info in the rough guide or the lonely planet. (maybe your library has a copy)
Lonely planet has also some info on the internet

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/
destinations/europe/netherlands/amsterdam/
(sorry, address is to long for yahoo, just copy it)

or the official tourist office on
http://www.amsterdamtourist.nl/

youth hostel info (their is one in the Vondelpark)
http://www.stayokay.com/info/
uk/youth-hostel-amsterdam.html
(sorry, address is to long for yahoo, just copy it)

some hotel info on
http://www.hoteliers.nl/amsterdam/
?city=amsterdam&cID=143â©=nl
(sorry, address is to long for yahoo, just copy it)

Is it safe to travel to Amsterdam?
Q. I recently heard on the radio that it wasn't safe to travel to Amsterdam because of the war on drugs or something like that. I am planning a trip to Amsterdam within the next year and I just wanted to see if this is true or not....Thank you!

A. Amsterdam is absolutely safe, as long as you use common sense. Any major city has its share of problems, but Amsterdam is no worse than other European cities of its size. It's a lovely place with so much to offer.

-Avoid parks and other isolated areas after dark.
-Don't wander the streets obviously inebriated.
-Look like a native, not a tourist.
-Try to leave valuables at your hotel.
-If you are approached, ignore them. There are scam artists in every big city, people asking for money, people offering deals. Do what a local would do, and just walk away.
-If you plan on visiting the coffeeshops in the city, make sure you stick to what the coffeeshops have to offer. Never buy from anyone on the street.

As the article linked below states, the UK has more (local) drug users and a much higher crime rate. Enjoy your trip :)

When is the best time to see Tulip gardens in Holland?
Q. We would like to see Tulip gardens in Holland. They say it is like carpets of flowers. Can you please tell me what is the best time to see Tulips. Where should we go, to Amstradam or another destination in Holland? What hotel to stay in? How many days will it take to see the flowers?

A. I go to the Netherlands two or three times every spring to see Keukenhof Garden transition from the early spring flowers through the tulips. In March, there won't be many tulips - most will be in one of the pavillions. The peak time for tulips is usually toward the end of April. It's very easy to get to Keukenhof. There are Connexion buses that run from Schiphol airport or the train station at Leiden. You can get a combined ticket that covers the round trip ride and entrance to the garden. I prefer to go to Leiden because there's an earlier bus. Also by doing that, you can take a train back to Amsterdam that goes through Haarlem - that route takes you past a lot of bulb fields. there are fewer if you take the faster route through Schiphol airport. It can take a long time to explore the whole garden - I usually take a couple of full days when the tulips are at a peak.

There's also a big flower parade on a Saturday at the end of the month that runs all day passing through several towns on the way to Haarlem. The next morning, the floats are parked along the street and there's a big street festival. The parade will be on the 24th in 2010.

I usually stay in Leiden the first time I go because it's only for a weekend and then stay in Amsterdam the other visits. There are a huge number of other things to see and do in the Netherlands and Amsterdam in particular. I use this site for finding hotels in the Netherlands: http://www.hotels.nl/ In Amsterdam, I like to stay near Dam Square which also provides good access to the train station for going out and exploring more of the country.

The garden website is here: http://www.keukenhof.com/




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the cheapest 2 room suite hotel in Chicago?

Wooden Puzzles Australia

What is the cheapest way to travel from NYC to Orlando?