Can you help with our wedding reception dilemma?

Q. My fiance and I are looking for a loft/basement type place to hold our wedding reception. We are heavy into music and art and the typical banquet hall or over-priced anything just won't do. We want the freedom to decorate it ourselves, supply our own catering and music. I've searched and searched and find nothing that fits this. My assumption is that they exist, but because they are not show-boaty, have no need to over advertise. Does anyone have any leads in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area?

A. First, I admire you for taking the time to try to fine a venue that fits you and your interests instead of mindlessly turning to the typical wedding venues.

I suggest contacting galleries, artsy stores, coffee shops, play houses, nature centers, sports arenas or (smaller) music venues, to see whether they will consider renting to you. Or even look into old or empty warehouses in your city. I know someone who got married in her office building this year! Just go around and look for spaces that intrigue you, and that you can picture your wedding/reception being in.

If the place you find is not typically reserved for events, be aware that you will probably have to bring in everything, including tables or chairs. Also be sure to check whether the space will allow you to bring alcohol in, because if you plan on drinking at your wedding, that could be a deal breaker if they say no alcohol!

I too have looked around for different types of venues. At first, the thought of a community center or veteran's hall or whatever sounded so boring to me. But then I began to realize that these are venues that include tables and chairs and typically rent for between $150 and $450 for the entire day! And you get to decorate, bring in your own food, alcohol, etc. Some were really beautiful, located on the waterfront or out in nature. I couldn't believe people would rent a boring hotel when some of these inexpensive options existed.

I also looked into enclosed pavilions/"shelters" (really just a regular room/cabin) in parks. Some of these places were so beautiful and SUPER CHEAP. Unfortunately, about 50% of them did not allow alcohol. The others filled up really quickly.

Basically, stay away from any and all hotels and restaurants if you want to DIY. And don't be afraid to call up some places and say, "Can I pay you to rent out your space for my wedding?" even if they have never dreamed of holding events before. You just never know if they will say yes!

How's the public transportation system in Minneapolis & St. Paul, MN?
Q. i'm planning to take train/bus from Chicago to Minneapolis. Do I have to have my own car to tour around Minneapolis and St. Paul? I only want to tour around the tourist spots there. Thanks!

A. The transportation system is great. The train ride from Chicago to St Paul is great. There are many cab companies. The buses run regularly. There is a light rail train that goes to the Mall of America. http://www.metrotransit.org/
You will have lots of fun! I love Minneapolis. Check out priceline to get great rates on area 4 star hotels. I loved The Hyatt and the Hilton in downtown Minneapolis.

Where is the best, moderately priced hotel in the city of London?
Q. I am looking for a reasonably priced hotel in London, preferably around a tube or somewhere historic that won't break the bank! Also, anything "out of the ordinary" hotel would be great if anyone knows of any! Thanks!

A. I agree that the Club Quarters hotels are very good value, only problem is that you can't book them direct you have to find them on a travel provider such as those below:

http://www.expedia.co.uk
http://www.london.hotel-desk.net/
http://www.londontown.com

Search for "Club Quarters", "Gracechurch" or "St Pauls" and they should appear.

Alternatively, the Sleep Inn chain of hotels has recently opened one near Tower Hill which, as it's brand new, is great value for money and located well for the Tourist sites too. (http://www.choicehotelseurope.com/GB160)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the cheapest 2 room suite hotel in Chicago?

Wooden Puzzles Australia

What is the cheapest way to travel from NYC to Orlando?